Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's Sunny Outside

I got off work this morning and realized it was no longer raining. For some reason, this made me sad. This past week, I enjoyed leaving the hospital in the rain. I enjoyed crawling into bed... my room extra dark from the clouds, and drifting off into blissful sleep. I've had better sleep this week than I've had in the 3 years I've been working night shift. Despite the sun, I slept amazingly well today.

And on the coattails of that experience, I only have one more night shift to work. I start working dayshift on Monday. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time. I'm excited because I get to return to the real world and sleep when everyone else sleeps and fight the crowds at Target during normal hours. I'm terrified because the "night shift pace" is all I've ever known. I'm going to have to start dealing with more than just two doctors a day. I'll have to take my patients to unknown places in the hospital (don't even ask me how to get to the endoscopy suite). I won't get to hear Ashley yell at her crazy patients. I won't get to laugh until I cry with Gina and C. Lo. No more dancing in the halls with Rachel and no more singing bad 80's songs with Jim. No more Lost recaps with Steven and Tommy. No more "miracle mist" sarcasm with Greg. No more wondering who is watching Brea's patient while she is out of her district. No more sweet treats from Mandy. However, this is a good change for me. I need change. I've been stuck in a rut of comfort for far too long. I'll find new friends to laugh with.... to cry with.... and to eat with... but it will all be done in honor of my night shift peeps. I love you guys!

And in honor of the MICU night shifters, I leave you with this...

.

1 comment:

bsimmons715 said...

Welcome back to the land of the day people! Time to toss out the sleeping mask and invest in a good pair of shades.