Thursday, March 8, 2007

It Just Makes Me Cringe...

There are certain words in the English language that make me cringe. They are like nails on a chalkboard.... invoke immediate nausea with their very mention. So, I'd like to know if anyone else is as repulsed as I am by these vocabulary and if there are any others that deserve mention. Here we go (in no specific order)....


  1. Moist- I must admit, this has to be my least favorite word of all time; I almost vomited in the middle of prayer at church once when this one was mentioned.
  2. Supple
  3. Caress
  4. Ointment
  5. Pocketbook (This one comes from Laura Meek)
  6. Trouser
  7. Discharge
  8. Hairpin (another one from Laura Meek)
  9. Excrement
  10. Pus
  11. Lubricate
  12. Masticate
  13. Doily
  14. Hemorrhoid
  15. Suckle (Thanks to Cameron Reynolds)
  16. Stroke (only as a verb; the noun is manageable) (apparently Julie has been having some "interesting" conversations and wanted to add this one)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's funny because I just had this conversation not long ago with my roommates. I don't like the word "naked." I also don't like another word, but I'd rather not tell.

Julie A. said...

Collin sent me this on Facebook...enjoy!


Why She Hates These Words
-by Collin Rector

The other day I pulled my pocketbook out of my trousers to pay for an ointment that would help lubricate the hemorrhoid I just developed. As I thrust my credit card into the moist hand of the pharmacist, I noticed the girth of her wrist. I discharged a word I had never heard before, “masticate.” I had now dug myself into a crevice. So worried about what I had said, I began to suckle my thumb. Distracted by my crying, I hadn’t noticed the pharmacist stroking and caressing my arm saying its ok. Staring at her aimlessly, I noticed the suppleness of her hair, and how her clothes looked to be made of hundreds of doilies. As I stared she let out a pus filled burp. I quickly realized the mistake I was making and made a hairpin turn toward the door. Little did I realize the excrement from a young child in the middle of the aisle, sitting there like a hot, steamy turd nugget. I fell to the floor, praying I would die.