Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter

I received the 7th Harry Potter book in the mail yesterday. I have not started reading. I'm not one of those crazed HP fans who camped out at Barnes and Noble waiting for midnight so they could buy their copy. I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon a few months ago and paid half price for it. I'll probably start reading it tonight and finish it in a few weeks then re-sell it on Amazon.

I got into a conversation with a girl I work with. She frightens me a bit. She started talking about how much she loves the books and how excited she was about the 7th book and getting it at midnight. She was predicting who would die and who would get married... and who the "chosen one" is. Honestly, I could care less. Rowling is a rather amazing author but...... I don't understand the intensity of the hype; how GROWN men and women can be so mesmerized by a fictional character/story. Just imagine if all these people redirected their passion toward God or world hunger or Darfur or politics.... or something REAL!

I'm jumping off my soapbox now... more ranting at a later time.

No comments: