Monday, June 16, 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

I've been amazed by the kindness of strangers lately. It reminds me of that insurance company commercial where the lady holds back the man before the crosses the street and is smushed by an oncoming garbage truck. Well, my stories aren't QUITE as exciting but they touched my heart nonetheless.

If you know me, you know I go to the grocery store at least three times a week. I get this from my mother. You would think I would be able to get everything I need in one trip. Negative! I can always think of something else I need later in the week. Generally it is milk or bread. Sometimes it's chocolate chips and carrots. Go figure.

So back to the story. On two occassions this week, people offered to take my cart back to the store. At the Bruno's on 150, the only cart repository is way off in the parking lot. When I am usually there after work, it's closer for me to just take the cart back into the store... and I usually do this. This morning, a woman pulled up next to me and offered to take my cart in for me. The same thing happened yesterday when I was at the Publix on 150. Again, the cart corral was a good ways off (but not further away than I was from the store itself) and I had every intention of walking it over but the nice lady in the Volvo stationwagon who was parked next to me offered to take it in.

I know this seems like something little, but it really did touch my heart that people would go out of their way.

No comments: